Valentine's Day was a really long day for both of us. Trevor was supposed to work until 6:30 and I was hanging out with my family in the morning. Then I got in a car accident on my way to visit Trevor for lunch. I figured, hey, it's Valentine's Day, I should make the best of it and start my busy-ness later. Ugh. I hit a big pick up truck in my tiny little Versa, and of course, he had hardly any damage and mine is missing an eye. My poor car; we don't have money to fix it right away. But sometime soon I'm going to force us to. Luckily it was just a small fender bender and no one was hurt. We pulled over and he said he didn't think we needed to call the police because they'd just give me a ticket. Thank you Strange Man :) There was another accident right by us, they did the exact same thing, only worse--so we hustled out of there. Seems like no big deal, but it still stinks.
My car's headlight casing is all smashed, a part of the hood, and the bumper.
His bumber got pushed toward his bed about an inch and a half. Just bent in. There weren't even scratches. Lucky him.

But, I finally made it home and started making the dinner I'd been planning for Trevor and me.
I set the table all nice and lit like 12 candles.
I made grown up ham and cheese sandwiches for the appetizer. Some have brie cheese and some have parmesan cheese, topped with apple slices dipped in lemon juice, on a homemade toasted bagette slice, wrapped in a piece of prosciutto, sprinkled with olive oil and parsley. YUM. I'd never had prosciutto before so it was really neat.


I made pesto cream cheese stuffed chicken (it's covered in bread crumbs and fried, then baked), heavenly, and parmesan topped roasted asparagus. It was SO cool to work with an actual chunk of parmesan instead of just shredded. It felt very authentic and elegant :)
PS on the chicken: I don't think fried foods are supposed to be photographed except by professionals. I couldn't get a good shot.


I served it with salad (with homemade crutons), and cranberry-raspberry juice. I am really proud of how it turned out. I don't usually get to spend the money required to make such a fancy dinner :) It was heartening to know that I can actually do it when I have the means.
My dessert kind of failed. I was planning on making sugar cookies dipped partially in chocolate, but they didn't turn out how I wanted. They still tasted good, but honestly, presentation is important to me. And the cookies got all cracked and the chocolate burned I think, so it was super thick and kind of grainy instead of smooth. My camera batteries were dying at this point too, so my pictures are beginning to get fuzzier. I also made chocolate dipped strawberries that sort of made up for the ugly cookies. They were really yummy too :)

Trevor brought me a bouquet of flowers, with yellow roses and white daisies, and purple tiny flowers, and pink other flowers. It's really beautiful. I can post those pictures later. Oh, and he got me a cookie that said he loves me :) It turned into a really relaxing night once we were actually together. He didn't end up getting home from work until almost 8, but we made the best of it.
I hope you all had a good Valentine's Day too!
I'm so sorry to hear about your car!
ReplyDeleteThose ham and cheese things looked delicious! I'm going to have to try them someday.
Your dinner looks amazing. Don't you wish you had more time and money to make awesome food?
ReplyDelete