Finish reading book 1 of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because Trevor asked me to... CHECK.
Starting book 2. Supposedly it's more interesting and better written. We'll see. I really enjoyed the first one, despite all the complaining I've been doing to Trevor. I just don't like seeing him gloat about how he was right, and I should have read it 4 years ago like he told me to. So I've been telling him every negative thought that has popped into my head while reading it, haha. I HAVE enjoyed the comparisons between constant good and evil throughout the book though. I personally believe that good and evil, right and wrong, are constant, no matter what each age, or civilization thinks. For example, I believe murder will always be wrong, and charity will always be right. No matter if, in the future, society decides murder is okay and charity is bad (yes, I know that was not a complete sentence, but I wanted it that way, okay?). Get it? The Wheel of Time (at least, book 1) hinges on the assumption that there is an evil, ie someone like Satan, who has always been, but that there is Light that is always there. The main characters persevere by simply believing that if they never allow evil to have place in their hearts, and if they deny evil, it can never have power over them.
In one part of the story, there are two ropes (I'm not going to explain why), one representing the Light, one representing the evil guy's power. One white, one black. Actually, so black that it makes black look white. Anywho, the black rope was as thick as a human, and the Satan character was a giant holding the rope, ready to entangle the main character forever. While the white rope, actually appeared as small as a string. The main character was in a position where he had to choose between the two, and it seemed to him that the black rope was even swallowing up the white rope's light, however it continued to have light. It reminded me of that whole concept in Star Wars about the Force, and how the Dark Side isn't more powerful, just easier.
My point: the book was good. I'm going to read the next one, even though it's even more huge and it'll probably take me even longer to read than the last. Don't tell Trevor what I said about the negativity though :)
Starting book 2. Supposedly it's more interesting and better written. We'll see. I really enjoyed the first one, despite all the complaining I've been doing to Trevor. I just don't like seeing him gloat about how he was right, and I should have read it 4 years ago like he told me to. So I've been telling him every negative thought that has popped into my head while reading it, haha. I HAVE enjoyed the comparisons between constant good and evil throughout the book though. I personally believe that good and evil, right and wrong, are constant, no matter what each age, or civilization thinks. For example, I believe murder will always be wrong, and charity will always be right. No matter if, in the future, society decides murder is okay and charity is bad (yes, I know that was not a complete sentence, but I wanted it that way, okay?). Get it? The Wheel of Time (at least, book 1) hinges on the assumption that there is an evil, ie someone like Satan, who has always been, but that there is Light that is always there. The main characters persevere by simply believing that if they never allow evil to have place in their hearts, and if they deny evil, it can never have power over them.
In one part of the story, there are two ropes (I'm not going to explain why), one representing the Light, one representing the evil guy's power. One white, one black. Actually, so black that it makes black look white. Anywho, the black rope was as thick as a human, and the Satan character was a giant holding the rope, ready to entangle the main character forever. While the white rope, actually appeared as small as a string. The main character was in a position where he had to choose between the two, and it seemed to him that the black rope was even swallowing up the white rope's light, however it continued to have light. It reminded me of that whole concept in Star Wars about the Force, and how the Dark Side isn't more powerful, just easier.
My point: the book was good. I'm going to read the next one, even though it's even more huge and it'll probably take me even longer to read than the last. Don't tell Trevor what I said about the negativity though :)
didn't you say it was like 800 pages long? the last book I read that long about killed me. I like to finish books fast but that took me forever.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to check it out though! I always need a good book to read.
hey, girl i can totally do your husband's band photos! do they have a location or anything picked out? i don't have classes on fridays, and all i do for work is take pictures. so i could do anytime fridays or saturdays, or even late afternoons in the week. e-mail me or call me and we can figure something out.
ReplyDeletebrittany.morrill@gmail.com
801 792 0982