Monday, July 27, 2009

Toys R Me and The French Guy

This weekend was SO much more productive than my last, like, 10 weekends. (Okay, maybe not THAT many, but it feels like it.) Trevor worked both Friday and Saturday—all day. So I had to find stuff to do on my own. On Friday I went to Toys R Us and shopped for the little kids’ birthdays in my family this month. I have to admit, I enjoyed it for myself, not just for them :) I found several things that I would have loved to get them—they’re interested in SO many things, Star Wars, practically every superhero, Spongebob, all the Pokemon/Bakaghan (sp) stuff, dinosaurs, cars… And that’s just the boy stuff :) Have you been to the girl section in Toys R Us lately?! Holy mama! I would have spazzed out as a kid if I’d seen all that stuff. They have every single accessory you can think of to fit into a doll house. I love all the mini kitchens and laundry rooms :) And their dress-up section is ginormous compared to what I remember when I was little. I’m sure my parents kept me out of Toys R Us for good reason :) I remember how excited I was just to go into the toy store in the mall, or in K Mart. Oh, EasyBake, how I miss you.

…sigh… maybe I’ll have to go buy myself something cool. Not sure if I can wait till we have kids of our own. I wonder how many moms are into their kids’ toys… I know I’M going to buy at least some of them because I think they’re awesome. That’s pretty much a given for Trevor too. Every time we go ANYWHERE that sells toys, we always have to go down the toy aisle and compare their quality of Star Wars and Iron Man toys, and hear how much “the quality of toys nowadays has gone down,” and yet, he still buys them…hm.

You know what kinda bothers me? Boys can still read their “graphic novels,” and play with their legos, and play their videogames and it’s not considered kiddish at all. What do girls get to do? WASH REAL DISHES? Psh. I want my EasyBake and 4 foot dollhouse, with mini-cupcakes, flushing toilets, and Grandma doll to go along with it.

ANYWHO. Back to my weekend.

We went to a barbeque at a friend’s house on Friday night—seeing as it was Pioneer Day. I kind of forgot the entire day until we were invited to fireworks. It’s been really nice to see friends here and there at different things lately. It always reminds me how different my life is than most of my friends from high school though. Do you realize that some people Trevor and I graduated with have finished college and are starting their careers?! Crazy biz. I don’t regret my life, don’t get me wrong. It’s just different. Some of them have babies (although, they generally don’t show up to bbqs), but most of them are just either living at home going to school, or living with friends going to school. And then there’s the handful like Trevor and I—married and boring, with “plans” to go back to school :) No, I’m kidding. We’ll get back. We just did things backwards. Who ever said Trevor and I are the smartest people on earth? Not me.

YEESH, back to my weekend again.

Went to the kidlet birthday party on Saturday morning, where I got to see them open their lightsabers and silly string. I was also the not-so-cool aunt who gave them books to read (shudder). They liked their monster cupcakes though, and I’m glad :) I have to say though, that I snuck in a little reduced-sugar cupcake mix in there, and they didn’t even know it. (although I’m sure the frosting kind of counterbalances everything…)

I got to drop off my car (!) at the body shop on Saturday!!!! Yip! I have /get to drive a rental all week and we’ll be $500 poorer, but I won’t have to look at a mashed headlight every day and be reminded of my stupidity while driving (and my car will pass inspection in the fall; extra bonus). The car rental place picked me up at the body shop which was nice, but since it was Saturday, there was only one person on duty, so I had to drive him back to the car rental place… awkward. He was a nice black man from France who graduated from Accounting school 10 years ago but got laid off because of the recession and is now working at Enterprise to pay the bills. He and his wife love to travel though, and I should do it if I can—especially the Caribbean in the off season.

I got to spend lots of time with family this weekend what with the birthdays, and extra practices for musicals in church, and family dinners, and going to the canyon. It was super great :) Now I’m starting an incredibly relaxed—but that much harder because I have no one to tell me when to stop blogging and get off facebook to do my actual work—week because my boss is on vacation.

This post is supremely convoluted. And I'm not even going to spell check or proof-read. So there. Good luck :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with shopping for myself when it comes to the toy store. Whenever I go to a store I still find myself in the Barbie section without knowing how on earth I got there, and I have yet to think of a grown up reason to buy a barbie or action figures. *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.