Thursday, July 02, 2009

Fabric Frames

I've been having a good time getting a ton of projects done that I've been contemplating for a long time :) This project, especially, has been bothering me for many months. I tried doing it with paper, styrofoam, and ribbon to save money--but it just wasn't turning out the way I wanted it to. SO, while I was at IKEA, Trevor and I picked out some fabrics we liked and found these AWESOME frames made for this kind of thing for only $5 each. Plus their already-cheap-fabric was on sale. This project was simple--but it took a lot of hammer-work.
It takes about 5 minutes to make each frame--you have to screw them together, and since we only have a screwdriver and not a drill or anything... Trevor did it :) He's so nice.
Next we just positioned our fabric the way we wanted it, flipped it over, and nailed the four sides down in the middle.
The corners were the tricky part. But still pretty easy. There's this way of tucking and folding that gives the frame flat corners like painting canvases. It looks COMPLETELY professional :)

Like I said, a lot of nails. But the frames come with all the hardware you need (well, not the hammer and screwdriver, but you know what I mean). I think each frame took 15 minutes ish. It got easier with each frame.

Crazy picture, but this is the first finished frame.

Then we just put them on the wall--after we make them straight--which we didn't quite do for this picture...
I LOVE them! I think total, we only spent at most $25 on frames and fabric. And they are SO COOL :) If you wanted to save money on fabric, you could buy from their remnant section. They have almost every kind of fabric in there. Today they didn't have the right sizes for us though.

5 comments:

  1. I Absolutely love these!! So doing them for my bedroom! if you don't mind me stealing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THOSE!! We are just finishing our basement right now and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to put up that wouldn't break the bank. They turned out super cute. I thought about covering a piece of mdf with fabric for the wall, but that seems so heavy. The frame idea is much better. So glad you linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that material. So different and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out great! I love the fabric... I have to get to IKEA and check it out! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.