My weekend started on Friday with a trip to Macey's, of course. I had to pick up all the neat stuff we were going to eat over the weekend :) Then I CLEANED and tried to make my apartment nice. Sort of got messed up because just 1 day in our apartment translates into 1 week in cleaning days. I cut A TON of fruit and vegetables over the weekend! I cut a giant watermelon, 2 cantaloupes, 1 pineapple, some celery, carrots, tomatoes, red and green peppers. Probably more. I really really hate cutting watermelon.
Friday night we tried to go see The Proposal but it was really packed so we saw Ice Age 3 instead. It was pretty good. Pretty funny, with only a touch of potty humor (seriously... WHY?) I don't really understand why they got Queen Latifa though...
Anyways, Saturday at 1 we had a barbeque hosted by Trevor's brother and his girlfriend at our house with some of Trevor's family. They made ribs and baked potatoes--oh my gosh... it was good. We watched The Office and vegged out. Then at 5 my family came over and we had another barbeque with a bagillion hot dogs and a butt-load of salad. It was really nice to see everyone :)
I made my families answer trivia questions about America and made them look at pictures of the presidents and identify them :) It was a really easy way to tie in Independence Day--even though I'm a really huge history buff, I always have a hard time thinking about the REAL reason for July 4th when I'm eating my hot dog and lighting bombs in the street. So we had a little review of some awesome little tidbits about America.
Did you know that only 2 people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776? And it was nice to review that July 4th is a celebration of the day the Declaration of Independence was signed--sometimes patriotism in general gets all muddled up in the reason we have the 4th celebrations--but really, it's all about the day we declared independence from Britain. It's not even about America becoming an actual nation--which didn't even happen until YEARS later.
Ope, I lied, I did take a couple pictures of the trifle I made. The bowl is frosty from the fridge.
Anyways. We did fireworks in our apartment complex parking lot with Trevor's family after it got dark. I've never purchased so many fireworks on my own before--it was a new experience walking into Macey's and picking up the big package of fireworks and checking out :) I got a $10 off coupon too, so I didn't feel like I was being as extravagant as I could have been; although fireworks are HUGELY overpriced.
So we spent the evening lighting fireworks that all did the same thing and enjoyed every minute of it. Trevor's brother turned on some patriotic tunes and we had an amazingly timed grand finale that SOMEHOW managed to sync with The Star Spangled Banner blasting from his car. I KNOW it only worked out because we were urging the little sparks to keep going just a little longer, haha :)
During fireworks, someone mentioned A Goofy Movie, so we obviously had to go back inside and hook up our VHS player to the big screen with all the cords so we could watch it classic style. It was a lot of fun eating popcorn and having rootbeer floats (ick, not for me though), and watching Goofy and Max drive their way to insanity to reach Powerline and the fat lady who sings with that crazy voice in the electric circle all so Max could impress a chick. (Interesting to note that the Green boys found Roxanne to be highly attractive when they were little.) My favorite parts are when the sidekick guy shows Max his rad leaning tower of cheese-a, and when Big-Foot does the "ah ah ah ah stayin alive" dance. That movie really is one of the best :)
Needless to say, the apartment stayed dirty until Sunday, when we mostly vegged out and did nothing because we were so tired from the day before.
OH! I didn't even mention that Saturday was Trevor's FIRST SATURDAY off since he started working at Rent-A-Center 9 months ago! It was REALLY FREAKISHLY AMAZING to have him home for 2 days in a row with me :)
Your trifle looks absolutely fantastic! If you ever have an extra, I'll gladly take it off your hands :)
ReplyDeleteYou're lucky your apartments let you guys light fireworks! Apparently mine is run by a bunch of anti-pyromaniacs. Lame. Did you get some of those dinky snake things that grow?! Or the tanks that shoot sparks? Those are my favorite, no matter how disappointing they are year after year.
And now I think I must watch A Goofy Movie, just to sing along with Powerline's song :) For the WIN!
I'm glad you stopped by my blog. I'm going to add it to my list if you're alright with that. Sounds like you guys had a busy and fun 4th as well.
ReplyDelete