Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Blood Oranges

Hiya,

Last night I made up some cool sauce for our fish! I saw some blood oranges at the store last weekend and I immediately knew I could do something cool. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go fish, or go salad, or go chicken with it, but still... I knew.


Just in case you've never heard of a blood orange, I promise I didn't make that name up. They're oranges that are red inside. They're still really orangey tasting, but they're a tiny bit more sour, like a grapefruit--only not disgusting like a grapefruit. They're super pretty too :) I'm sad I didn't take any pictures. Next time.

We've been eating more fish lately because it's good AND good for you if you make it right. And so far I have really enjoyed all the different ways to prepare fish, even if we rarely branch out of salmon, cod, tuna, halibut, you know, the normals.

I squeezed the juice out of one orange, and added it to about 1/4 cup of water mixed with a tablespoon of corn starch, and added 1-2 tablespoons of honey to sweeten it up. (I didn't thicken the sauce before I started cooking, but next time I may try boiling the sauce first and then brushing it on. I think this will give it more of a sticky sauce rather than a sauce that cooks into the fish.) The way I did it last night, I just brushed the juice mixture onto some fresh salmon portions and grilled them in my grill pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Depending on how thick the fish is, just about 5-7 minutes/side. I added more juice mixture after they cooked part of the way. I served it with rice and salad, and topped the salmon with chunks of more segmented blood orange. I loved it! It felt really fresh.

Then for lunch today I fork-crumbled a leftover salmon portion with a few chunks of orange mixed in, with a tablespoon or 2 of light mayo, and voila! I had a salmon salad to have on Wheat Thins and Thin Crisps. Yum :)

I highly recommend experimenting with fish, AND blood oranges. I think next time I'll try a salad.

2 comments:

  1. Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your
    site and in accession capital to assert that I get in
    fact loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing on your feeds
    or even I achievement you get right of entry to constantly rapidly.



    My site payday loans online lenders

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.