Thursday, April 16, 2009

Getting Used to Working Out

Week 3 almost done! After tonight, I will have been exercising for 3 weeks, and I feel pretty good. Last week I only got 3 of the 4 days in because on Wednesday we were down to one car. I have the feeling that Wednesdays are going to be the rough days for me because that's Trevor's day off, and he usually doesn't go to practice till 6:30 or 7, and that's RIGHT when I exercise. So I have to sort of CHOOSE exercise over seeing Trevor for the only hour I'll see him that day. But last night he didn't go to practice so I didn't have to worry about that.

I'm still feeling pretty motivated. I know this might sound sort of absurd, but I'm sort of sad I'm not seeing any results yet. In the beginning I told myself I probably wouldn't see ANY change at all for at least 1 or 2 months--but somehow I still find myself with a small bit of my hopes let down that I haven't lost a couple pounds or my clothes fit better or something. If anything, I feel fatter--my body is SWOLLEN! I know it's a good thing to have muscles forming again under all my skin, but my arms and legs just look puffier! Bah! Right now my body is still getting used to the work out so I'm still pretty exhausted at night. Come 9 o'clock, I'm dead, sprawled out on our bed, begging Trevor to rub my muscles. I've been focusing on my stretches afterwards more so my muscles will be less tight and sore, but they still get tired.

Some days I've been super excited to go work out after work, and others it's just been part of what happens after work. Just routine. I think I've only had maybe 1 or 2 days where I've been NOT in the mood--but as soon as I got there, I felt better. Haha, kind of like church.

This week my right knee and muscles above my knee have been sore. Some of you know, but I have a history of bad-knee-edness. I had a scope on my left knee when I was 15 when I was playing basketball all the time, and it sort of runs in my family to have torn cartilage. Anywho, I've just been a little worried that I might damage my other knee like the first knee. I've been feeling some pain in the muscles AROUND my right knee, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing in the bone. So I've been working those muscles a little bit more carefully to build them up. When I had the surgery on the left knee, they told me that as I strengthen the muscles around my knee, the bone and cartilage will have more support and will hurt less. I'm hoping that's the case now.

Enough about that.

3 comments:

  1. Becky that is so awesome that you are staying motivated like that i know it can definitely be hard! I just thought I'd throw in a little advice you have probably heard MANY times before... but for cardio instead of running get on a bike or an eliptical it will put less stress on your knee... and then as you do excercises to build muscle it will strengthen your knee instead of just hurt like crazy to the point you don't want to work out.... like I said you have probably heard this many times... but its just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knee stuff sounds like bursitis. I had it two years ago. A physical therapist told me cycling or eliptical would be the best way to strengthen the muscle and support the bone and cartilige. I wore a knee brace for a while because the muscles on the inner part of my knee were stronger than the outer part of my knee and my knee cap would sit incorrectly. Just keep working! Don't stop, it'll only get worse! Just remember the difference between good workout pain and BAD workout pain. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! Don't give up! It always takes time to see results but you'll be so glad you stuck with it!!

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.