Serioulsy, why do we celebrate this? Woo hoo, a new year...they come every year. Time passes on it's own, and yet we celebrate it--WE make it special--it's not special all by itself.
Last night while we were watching the ball drop, I couldn't help imagining what I would be doing if I was one of those people in Times Square. Um... Not too hard to imagine. I would feel awkward and not be one of those people screaming my lungs out because it's 2009 instead of 2008. What's so good about 2009 anyways? We're all just going to be excited it's over in another year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against living, or time passing. But I just don't see the point in celebrating "the new year." I can't get excited when people tell me happy new year, and I didn't feel excited when we counted down from 10. What's so special about the new year? It's not even a global celebration. Now, if we knew the world was going to end for sure in 2012, then yeah, let's celebrate our brains out. I just don't get it.
I can understand wanting a set time frame, beginning and ending, to the goals that you make; and I can understand wanting to reunite with friends, and make promises to be better at being friends. But I don't think I'll ever understand the mindless cheering and blind excitement that comes with celebrating the new year. If you want a day to drink till your eyes pop out, or stay out all night, why don't you just say so, instead of using the excuse that "it's a new year, and it's exciting."
I'll be blunt. Our January is going to suck. It's already started. Maybe the fact that January is the first month of this so-called "new year" is why I'm not feeling the thrill. Maybe I'll celebrate the Chinese New Year instead.
Haha I considered going to Times Square this year since we're in Jersey, but I decided it wasn't worth it. But I didn't want to do it because I was excited to celebrate, but just so I could say that I did it! haha! I totally agree, when the new year rang in, I wasn't excited at all, I just kept thinking "alright, well I'm not excited that this year is over, and I'm not looking forward to anything in particular in 2009..." I guess we just do it because thats what we do. I remember when I was in 7th grade I was DREADING the new year cause it was the start of a new millenium and it was just too much to think about the fact that I would never live in the 1900s any more...I don't really know why, I was just weird I guess! I think a big thing was that I wouldn't be able to just say the last two numbers of the year cause it would sound weird. I couldn't say 00 or 01, I'd have to say 2000...that disturbed me...hahaha!
ReplyDeleteWow what a long pointless comment...