So I've been so incredibly busy! It looks like the last photo shoot I posted was Brandy's, and that was 4 shoots ago. Here's a slide show of 3 of the newest:
First there was Erin and Robert. They were my first shoot with my new camera :) Using my camera was intimidating, to be really honest. I was nervous. I was worried that I would have to relearn everything. That I would suck. I was really glad that I was practicing on my really good friend Erin. She and her husband are great friends and made it really easy for me though. I made a lot of lighting mistakes, but I also got some much needed time with my camera. We tried a new place for me--Exchange Place. It's downtown, and there is some really neat architecture and secluded urban spots for pictures. If anyone has ever looked into photography in Utah before, you've probably seen at least one picture taken there :) Great place. It was FREEZING though! And there was a LOT of shady areas--which makes for great pictures, but freezing subjects!
Next, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law let me take pictures of them! Travis and Robyn are expecting a baby in a month or so, and oh boy! It was a great experience working with Robyn's belly :) I actually felt a little weird taking their pictures. Travis is an aspiring photographer himself, and has taught me a bit of the editing skills I know. So on top of feeling weird because they're my family, I felt uber intimidated! But I got over that after a few minutes. A lot of my shots got ruined because of lens flares though. We ran out of time, so I didn't get to do all the stuff I wanted to do with Robyn's big belly, but we still got some really great family-to-be pictures. I think their daughter will really appreciate those pictures one day :) It's pictures like those that make me really LOVE modern photography. Old-fashioned studio photography would have NEVER gotten the kind of pictures Travis' and Robyn's shoot gave them. We were outside, at Wheeler Farm. Everything was very casual, less "posed" than a studio photo shoot would be, and more like just a family outing than a photo session. (Oh! And awesome side note: Travis and Robyn were my first paying customers, haha!)
I also did a shoot with some sort-of-friend/acquaintances--Rachael and Kris. I suppose they're more friends than acquaintances now. We went to Exchange Place again, because I thought it would go really well with their style :) They're sorta hip, haha :) Plus they only had pretty much exactly one hour, so I thought a familiar place would be best. I was right. I was able to go quickly to the places I'd already scoped out. And I didn't have to spend as much time messing with the exposure, or the angles because I already did that last time. I had more time to explore a few more places in the area with them. Rachael and Kris were so happy the whole time and really made it feel like we were just having a good time together. I think a photo session is actually a really great date idea for a couple. You just go and talk with your significant other, and are forced to be all lovey dovey and kissy the whole time! It's perfect!
Last weekend I did a session with my long-term friend from when I was little--Elijah. It was quite a different experience taking pictures of a man! Maybe he's more of a guy? Or young adult? But whatever. With girls, it's like, they're beautiful, and it's okay to make them look AMAZING and stunning. But with a guy... You have to be all subtle. And careful not to make them look silly! It was hard. I'm working on editing those right now though. So hopefully I'll have them up soon. We went to the downtown library--great location! I'll show you later :)
This weekend I have 3 more! I have some children this weekend too! I'm really looking forward to getting more practice with kids. I can feel the challenge looming... but I just want to get the hard part over with! I also am going to be doing some pretend bridals with some friends. So if anyone wants to dress up in their wedding clothes again, I would looooove to take some pictures :) I want practice with more brides, boys, kids, and families the most. I still love girls and couples, but I have the most experience with those already and I'm starting to charge for those.
I got a UV filter, a polarizing filter, and a florescent filter this week on amazon for like $12 total. Super sweet! I'm excited to use them this weekend. They should help with the lens flare problem. I also got a spare battery ($10) and car charger ($3) in case my battery decides to run out... It would definitely not be MY fault if it did... Everything for cameras come in little pouches or carrying cases. It makes you feel so cool, haha.
At home, Trevor and I did some spring cleaning last week. Trevor went 99% insane and cleaned a bunch of stuff on his day off, and bought a bunch of new stuff for organizing. We've kept things clean for 1 week and 2 days, as of today. We also got a new dresser and bedroom curtains because we hated ours. Mmm, IKEA...
Aaaaand the last thing I feel like commenting about is FOOD. I made a creamy potato cheese soup two nights ago, and it was SO good! I have always wanted to have Riley's potato cheese soup whenever I want, and thought it impossible. While this soup was NOT Riley's by any means, it was a welcome substitution during the famine. Here's what I did:
- Peel, cube, and boil 8 (at least) medium potatoes along with 1/2 cup of diced white onion for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Reserve 2 cups of the cooked potato and onion. Mash the remaining potato/onions with 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth.
- Broil some bacon (I used 4 slices of Amber's leftover turkey bacon--thanks Amber! I'll pay you back!) for 3-4 minutes, turning over.
- Melt 2-3 tablespoons butter in your pot you just used to boil the potatoes. Add 2-3 tablespoons of flour and simmer and whisk for a minute or so until it turns a nutty color.
- Add spices, like tsp salt, tsp pepper, 1/2 or 1 tsp basil (depending on if you like it), 1/2 tsp paprika (yummy) or season salt, and 1 tablespoonish of parsley (I like the color mostly). You can flavor this puppy how ever you want.
- Add 2 cups of half-and-half, and 1 cup-ish of cheese (whatever kind you like). Let it heat through and get thick and bubbly.
- Add 2 more cups of chicken broth, the potato/chicken broth mixture, and 2-3 stalks of celery diced. Mix it all together and let heat through and get thick and bubbly again.
- At the end, add the cut up bacon and your reserved potato/onions. You can add more cheese, salt and pepper, or half-and-half at this point too depending on your taste.
- For the best results, serve it in a BREAD BOWL! K, seriously. This was amazing. I have no pictures, but just trust me.
Whew! I have been needing to get all that out for like a week! So I think I'm all caught up for a while.

Wow Becky! You're doing great with your photography! I'm so jealous! I would totally take you up on your offer to do my kids, or even me in my wedding dress (if it still fits), but I live too far away! Unless of course you'd be willing to make a trip up here :)
ReplyDelete