Friday, November 14, 2008

John Adams

I almost forgot, I was going to mention that we've been watching the HBO mini-series called "John Adams" for the last few weeks. It's not on TV, but we've rented the DVDs. It has been refreshing to remember why I love our country's history, and to remember the men who laid the foundation. They were just men. But they were able to do such incredible things. So many of them gave up what we consider necessity for the idea of liberty. I can't remember the line exactly, but one line in the movie that John Adams said really struck home for me. It was while he was in France as an ambassador, and he was having quite a culture shock. This French lady asked him why he's so obsessed with politics and war, and why he knows nothing about musique. His response was something like, I have to study war and politics so that my sons will have the freedom to study mathematics and physics, so that their sons will have the liberty to study culture and musique. It was inspiring to hear what could have been the thought process of someone so involved. I know John Adams may not have said those words exactly, but I know from reading of him and his works that he really was focused on getting his country to that ultimate place of freedom for his descendents. He knew it was a long road, and that he would have to give up a lot so that, not his sons, but their sons could have the freedom he wanted. It made me grateful for him and for all the founding fathers.

I've really enjoyed watching this series because it DOES show the mistakes and faults that each one of them had. It shows Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, George Washington--all doing great things, but struggling with being human along the way. Great stuff. I'd recommend watching it to everyone.

I usually never feel inspired by stories of women who are supposed to be inspirational. But the way that they've captured Abigail Adams' role as wife to John Adams through each of his different responsibilities, really is simply an inspiration. I love that they write eachother and tell eachother they need one another. I love that John trusts Abigail to keep him in his place, and that she trusts him to do what they believe in. I loved hearing about her trials while John was away establishing our country. She had children and a farm, as well as a husband far away. I know it sounds pretty typical as far as stories of revolutionary women go, but I've really felt that this series does a much better job at showing all sides of history. Much like a good book would, only this is visual :)

So go rent it. Paul Giamatti plays John Adams, and Laura Linney plays Abigail Adams. Co-produced by Tom Hanks, and based on David McCullough's book. Great stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.