Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Self Portraits

A few weeks ago I took some self portraits for the first time ever. Let me just tell you, that was the most embarrassing thing I've done in a log time--in all facets.

First, I had to go find a place outside that was pretty, yet within walking distance of my apartment. That pretty much narrowed it down to a couple grassy areas by the main road. So I set up my tripod, set my camera on a timer, and smiled to no one while tons of cars drove by staring. The sun was pretty though.

Self portraits are hard! Normally, if I was going to take your photo, I'd have you stand where I want you, and then focus on you with my lens, making minor adjustments as necessary. But when I'm not behind the lens, I can't focus on myself! So I had to pretend, and use sticks to simulate where my face was going to be so I had something to focus on. Then I'd set the timer, run around the the other side, and pose for 10 shots. Repeat.

Kind of a crazy hour.

8 out of 10 shots didn't turn out because they were blurry; 1 out of 10 I was pulling a weird face or blinking; and the final 10th looked possibly usable. It was REALLY weird to edit pictures of myself, removing blemishes, fixing lighting, that kind of thing.

I'm excited that I get to use them on my new website. That's the main reason I took them. I needed and updated picture for my bio section anyways, and I also thought it'd be nice to have pictures that reflect my own editing style rather than another photographer's. It was a lot of effort though, so I definitely won't be doing it again anytime soon!

It kind of made me realize though, that everyone is so lucky they don't have to look at any of the "bad" photos of themselves that get taken during their shoot. Even I felt embarrassed looking at pictures of myself where I looked like a goober, and I KNOW to expect it. I feel like I should let all my clients know I don't laugh at your blinky pictures or anything :) I just delete them, I promise!












There's me.

2 comments:

  1. You are beautiful! These turned out great! I bet that was a little weird to do them of yourself. I love your earrings!

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.