Monday, October 26, 2009

I gave in to the girly reading thing again

I want to be completely proud of my reading decisions lately, but in reality, I've been a little surprised at the books I've been into since I graduated high school. I have discovered that I really am a sap when it comes to romance and happy endings. I mean, holy crap, I read Twilight last year and didn't hate it! What has the world come to?

Last week I decided I needed to take a break from Trevor's Series Ginormo to read a little classic romance--specifically, Pride and Prejudice. You know, THE Jane Austen.

I know what you're thinking, "What? How can someone have never read Pride and Prejudice?" How can I have read Ivan Denisovich, or Voltaire, or the Inferno but never the obvious Pride and Prejudice? Really, I was confused myself. I wouldn't say I'm WELL-read, but geeze, it really was a little ridiculous.

Thus, I began. I little skeptical, a little excited. Skeptical of all the rave, excited to see if it could really live up to the "happily ever after" standard I was seeking. Mr. Darcy was enticing, Mr. and Mrs. Bennett began an interesting statement on class, and Elizabeth was not as annoying as I was expecting (given the Kierra Knightly disgrace of late--Oh Kierra, don't you know that just because her name is Elizabeth doesn't mean she's the same Elizabeth from Pirates?). Then the Bingleys came, and it was refreshing to read the subtle mockery of the upper class that Austen obviously felt. She was in the middle of it--she lived the class structure--she gossiped, dined and danced in the time. But she could see the hypocrisy, and the prejudice. I won't give you my whole "book report" but just know I appreciated the honesty.

All in all, I was pleased with the tension, and with the resolution equally. I will definitely be reading another Austen book soon to get my fix of happy endings. And I feel good about recommending it to everyone else :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd bother with any other of Austen's books. Pride and Prejudice is by far the best one. I guess Sense and Sensibility is pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh happy endings :) I love happy endings, sometimes you just need to know it's gonna be alright in the end and that's why after a long time of reading stories about people dying in the gutters we need a "disneyfix" or "austinfix"
    pride and prejudice is a great book and the bbc miniseries is aaaaawsome :)

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.