Monday, September 21, 2009

New Pillows


This is a really bad picture, but I need to post it now so I don't forget. They aren't really this yellow. Last week Trevor got some old pillows from work (there actually ARE benefits to working at Rent-A-Center!), so we decided we'd use the stuffing to make new pillows for our living room. We had these red and green plushy pillows that were loosing their shape, and were starting to seem really blah. So off to Ikea we trotted to pick out new fabric.

The next step was for Becky to learn how to use a sewing machine. I use one so rarely that I have to relearn every time I use one. So after a couple hours of the machine and myself malfunctioning together, I finally got it going smoothly. After that it was actually really easy.

You just sew to squares together with the insides out. You sew 3 sides completely. Like this:

l________l
l________l
l________l
l________l

(I took how-to pictures along the way, but they're on a different memory card, and I just don't feel like dealing with that mess on a Monday morning.)

And then you sew the top like this, leaving a hole to stuff the cotton into:

-----___----
l________l
l________l
l________l
l________l

Turn it right side out, stuff the cotton, and sew up the hole. SO easy (after my sister-in-law showed me how :) she's great).

I figured out another way to make pillows this week too. I've been trying to figure out how to make the pillow cases that you can stuff a pillow into, but for some reason my brain has been at maximum capacity every time I've tried to imagine it, or something. They had the example up at Ikea, so thank goodness.

You take a 20 inch by 60 inch piece of fabric (20 inches because that's how big my pillow is, and 60 inches because you double it and add 20 more inches). Basically, it's super confusing to explain, so I drew ya'll a picture. You can click on the picture to make the picture bigger if you're interested. I like this idea of having a cover because then you can change the cover whenever you want, depending on what kind of mood you're in.

4 comments:

  1. This is excellent! You're so creative I just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are SO cute! That makes me want to make some pillows for my couches! How much money would you estimate that it cost you in total? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit--well, I'm not sure how much cotton costs, but I found pillows for $3 at IKEA that you put covers on. For the wrap around pillows: the fabric at IKEA is between like $5-$8/yard, and you get 2 yards, which makes 2 pillows since it's folded. So $16 at most for fabric for 2 pillows + $6 for two stuffing pillows. But if you use cheaper fabric, obviously, it's cheaper. YOu could also just put the cover on an existing pillow. That's the beauty of the cover that you can take off.

    For the two sided cases, you just use 20 inch squares of whatever fabric you can find. it's a little cheaper fabric wise since you don't have to overlap any. But you have to find cotton to stuff it with. We had old pillows that we unstuffed. Joann's has some good fabrics, especially if you go to their website and get a 40% off coupon. And there's a fabric store on 90th and redwood that has good prices too. Walmart is cheap, if you don't care about selling your soul. I hear Hancocks is cheap too and has good variety. Look in the upholstery section as well as the regular quilting fabric section wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not
    seeing very good results. If you know of any please
    share. Many thanks!

    Feel free to visit my web site; I can't believe this

    ReplyDelete

leave me a comment and i will love you forever.